Friday, June 17, 2011

Life's Sweet Little Miracles

The cool thing about working in an ice cream shop is you get regulars. You see people who come in every week or just every once in a while, and you get little glimpses into their lives. And every once in a while through these glimpses you get to witness a miracle. 


There was a lady that always came in with her little daughter, probably about 3 years old, and she was very pregnant. They always sat together, just the two of them, talking about how they're the greatest pair. A couple weeks ago I saw the lady and her daughter, but this time she wasn't pregnant. She was holding a beautiful baby. Their pair had become a trio, and they never looked happier.


Today a lady came in with her adult daughter. I recognized the daughter more, but I knew that the mom had been with her before. Except the first time, the mom was wearing a scarf around her head because she had cancer or something like it. But today was different; today her hair was growing back. She looked happier and healthier than ever before. I felt honored to be the one to give her ice cream. It seemed too little an act to give such an amazing survivor. 


These people are strangers to me. I don't even know their names. But having the privilege of serving them a scoop of ice cream every once in a while reminds me why I'm here. It reminds me to appreciate the little things in life. It reminds me how God works. He is a God of miracles, and I am honored to be able to witness His work, even if it is just through a local ice cream shop.



No comments:

Post a Comment